Recent Mold Remediation Posts
There is no practical way to eliminate all of the molds and mold spores in the indoor environment. But there are ways to help control moisture and mold growth in your home. Here is a partial list:
Stop the water
- Fix leaks in pipes, and any damp areas around tubs and sinks.
- Rebuild, or retrofit with water resistant building materials.
- Prevent seepage of water from outside by have the ground around the house slope away and gutters drain away.
- Cover dirt crawlspaces with plastic to prevent moisture from coming from the ground.
Keep it clean
- Clean fabrics often and keep them dry. Soil promotes mildew growth. Keep clean fabric items in a well ventilated area.
- Have air ducts cleaned if you suspect mold exists on the duct's inside surface, or if duct insulation has been wet.
Keep it dry
- In hot weather, reduce moisture by using dehumidifiers, fans, air conditioners and open windows. Do NOT use fans if mold may already exist.
- Keep humidity below 40%.
- Choose carpets of man-made fibers for moisture prone areas.
- Reduce condensation on cold surfaces by insulating.
- Bathrooms, laundry rooms and mechanical rooms need to be routinely checked for moldy odors, and disinfect often with a 10% solution of bleach or a commercial disinfectant
Terminology Used in Mold Cleanup
The first term you might hear is mitigation. Mitigation means reducing the severity, seriousness or painfulness of something. SERVPRO’s goal is to reduce the severity of mold to a safe level in your home or business. The photo shows a basement wall with mold. Mold loves to grow on organic materials such as wood, paper, drywall and insulation. The plastic covering the stud wall and insulation is called vapor barrier. Contractors use this to prevent moisture from penetrating the walls of a basement by stapling it to the frame of the wall before drywall is hung. It also helps to keep a basement insulated and warm. When our technicians identify mold, it is critical to isolate it so it is not disturbed and sent airborne. Using containment does exactly this. Containment can be as simple as closing a door to the room and not allowing anyone in there or having to use plastic sheeting to enclose the area. Mold is one of the most common problems we see and we are proud to have qualified SERVPRO staff ready to help you 24/7/365 with your needs. Call us today at 605-213-3303.
SERVPRO of West Sioux Falls provides mold testing services to help determine if there is a concern.
If you discover mold in your home in the Sioux Falls area, there are many questions that arise. Here's a little bit of information about ordinary mold that can help your understanding of the issue.
Fungi and mold naturally occur in our environment. In fact, over 100,000 kinds of fungi have been identified. Fungi produce some very useful results. Yeast is a type of fungi used in preparing breads, baked goods and other food products, including some alcoholic beverages. The unique flavor of blue cheese is a result of mold. An edible mushroom is simply a type of fungi, and lifesaving penicillin is a product of mold (Penicillin chrysogenum).
Even though some forms of mold can add value to our lives, other forms can be harmful. Excessive amounts of mold, different types of mold, and/or exposure to molds may present health concerns for some people.
SERVPRO of West Sioux Falls provides mold testing services to help determine if there is a concern. SERVPRO also provides mold cleanup to Sioux Falls and the surrounding area.
Call (605) 213-3303 to speak with our experts.
SERVPRO Franchise Professionals handle water damages every day and know prompt action is required to prevent mold growth.
SERVPRO Franchise Professionals handle water damages every day and know prompt action is required to prevent mold growth. Mold is more likely to spread in your Sioux Falls home or business when an environment has been subject to moisture for a long period of time. If your property has sustained a recent water damage, it is vital to remove excess water and dry the structure promptly. If there is an ongoing moisture problem in the building, it is important to be alert for:
- The presence of visible mold.
- Strong musty odors which may indicate mold is present.
- Any evidence of past moisture problems that might have caused undetected mold growth.
- Excessive humidity.
These conditions may require the expertise of a qualified Indoor Air Quality/Environmental Professional to inspect the building for mold growth and water damage problems.
If you need assistance with water damage or mold in the Sioux Falls area, call SERVPRO at (605) 213-3303.
Mold In Sioux Falls Homes
Left untreated or undiagnosed, mold can quickly get out of control.
This year has brought a lot of water to our area. Coupled with damaging winds, water has come in from up above through damaged roofs and from down below with severe basement flooding.
When moisture is present too long, mold can grow. If you see anything or smell anything that you think might be mold, contact us immediately to come do an inspection. Your health can be compromised from exposure to mold, and you don't want to put it off.
We completed an inspection recently where we were able to help the homeowner determine that their smell was actually due to a natural gas leak. Had they not questioned the smell, thinking it was from previous water damage, the consequence could have been severe.
We use state of the art Thermal Imaging to help make sure our inspection of your home is thorough. So when you have a concern, don't put it off. Have us come help you get back "Like it never even happened."
Sioux Falls Residents: Follow These Mold Safety Tips If You Suspect Mold
Be careful! Without proper training, you could be spreading mold throughout your home.
If you see visible mold, do not disturb it. You can inadvertently spread the mold infestation throughout your home. When mold is disturbed, the mold can release microscopic mold spores which become airborne and can circulate inside your home. What to Do:
- Stay out of affected areas.
- Turn off the HVAC system and fans.
- Contact SERVPRO of Sioux Falls for mold remediation services.
What Not to Do:
- Don’t touch or disturb the mold.
- Don’t blow air across any surfaces with visible or suspected mold growth.
- Don’t attempt to dry the area yourself.
- Don’t spray bleach or other disinfectants on the mold.
About Our Mold Remediation Services SERVPRO of West Sioux Falls specializes in mold cleanup and restoration, in fact, it’s a cornerstone of our business. Our crews are highly trained restoration professionals that use specialized equipment and techniques to properly remediate your mold problem quickly and safely. If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – 605-213- 3303